A big EquiFest welcome to Arizona horseman Al Dunning!
Born in Chicago in 1950, Al’s family moved to Arizona when he was 8 years old. He began riding horses with his sisters and went on to further his talents with mentors such as Jim Paul, John Hoyt and Don Dodge. Over the years, Al developed his multi-faceted business with a focus on the development of champion horses and riders. Al Dunning, has owned and operated his “Almosta Ranch” since 1970. The Quarter Horse training facility is in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Al married his wife Becky in 1971. Becky is a well-known horse show announcer, and co-founded America’s Horse Cares, a division of the AQHA foundation which focuses on therapeutic riding charities. The Dunnings have two children, Grady and McKenzie Parkinson, and one granddaughter, Gracie.
- Al and his students have won 35 World and Reserve World titles.
- AQHA World Championships in Reining, Cutting, Working Cow Horse and Western Riding.
- His youth and amateur riders have won 12 World Championships.
- National Reined Cow Horse Association Open Bridle Champion.
- Finalist at the NRCHA World’s Greatest Horseman Contest.
- Two NCHA World Championships, Champion at Tropicana Cutting Futurity, PCCHA Derby, NCHA Western Nationals, and Las Vegas Classic/Challenge.
- Finalist or semi-finalist at every NCHA major event